In October, heavier than usual rainfall in Placer County infected several area wells, causing unsafe levels of E.coli and coliform. Four of the affected wells were located at the Squaw Valley Ski Holdings upper mountain facility. Fortunately, prompt well water testing and a swift response from the ski resort ensured that none of the contaminated drinking water was ever consumed by any member of the public or ski resort guest.
Water from the affected wells and water system was immediately contained and the resort contacted the Placer County Environmental Health Department, Squaw Valley Public Service District and other water safety experts for advice on remedying the problem. A water treatment plan was then promptly put into action. As a result, three of the four affected wells are completely free of E. coli and greatly reduced levels of coliform. The fourth is showing signs of improvement, as well. Treatment of the wells is ongoing and will continue until health officials deem these wells free of bacteria and safe for human consumption.
As the ski resort continues to treat this water system, the resort is open to skiers. The facility’s restaurants, however, do remain closed. Free bottled water is being made available to resort patrons until the water is once again deemed safe for consumption.
Please note that the current water contamination affects only the resort’s Gold Coast and High Camp locations. The resort will be issuing a statement when this matter is fully resolved in an effort to keep their valued patrons fully informed.